Healthy and active kids who play sport need a substantial increase in nutrients than those children who remain inactive. If your child is well-nourished, sports and other activities will be more enjoyable as they will be able to play longer and stay cognitively alert. A lack of nutrients will leave an active child feeling sluggish and unable to enjoy their sport and other activities.
We’re passionate about families leading healthy and active lifestyles, so we’ve put together the following list which will help you make good nutritional choices:
1. Breakfast: After a good night’s sleep, children need to replenish their energy levels. A healthy and tasty breakfast could include: fresh juice, dairy, fruit, cereal and/or bread.
2. Mix it up: A varied diet will improve your child’s nutrient intake and assist them in leading a healthy lifestyle. Eating a good mix of carbohydrates, fruit, dairy, vegetables, meat, poultry and fish will ensure an alert and well-nourished child.
3. Hydrate: Active kids should drink lots of water before and after physical activities. Keeping hydrated will allow your child to improve the regulation of their body temperature.
4. Eat snacks: Morning and afternoon snacks are a great way to replenish your child’s energy levels. Muesli bars, fruit and vegetables make for delicious snacks for your kids.
5. Dairy: If possible eat dairy daily. With calcium being vital for bone development, a daily intake of dairy will lead to optimal bone density and mass. It’s recommended that children eat three serves of dairy a day, where one serve equates to a slice of cheese, glass of milk or serve of yoghurt.
Now that your child is eating right, they’re ready to participate enjoy their sports and activities. Soccajoeys offer Preschool and Junior soccer classes that are set in a fun and non-competitive indoor setting. To find out more head to our programs.